Non-wa Nominalizations

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Jan 21 00:27:47 UTC 2004

John wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Rankin, Robert L wrote:
>> Good question.  I think you'd have to say that the epenthesis doesn't
>> occur WITHIN roots.
>
> But it's not clear that i'e is a root, i.e., it seems to be bimorphemic.
> It is inflected by infixation, iae, idhae, etc.  And you have datives
like
> i'gie.  Of course it's not entirely clear what the i'- is but I assume
> it's a locative.

I would agree that ie is bimorphemic, at least originally,
but I don't see why we would suppose the i- is i-locative
rather than i-instrumental.  The i'dhe word, meaning to
say something about or with respect to something/one, seems
like the i-locative form.  But ie, at least as a verb,
appears transparently instrumental:

  X e'
  X say
  say X