Terms for "white man"?

Tom Leonard tleonard at prodigy.net
Wed Mar 10 05:26:08 UTC 2004

Thought I'd add my 2 cents on this one........

My dad, Joe Rush (Ponca), told me on many, many, occasions that "wa'xe" was
an "abbreviation" of wana'xe (ghost or spirit). I've heard the same from
many other Ponca elders. He said when Poncas first saw a white man they
thought he was a ghost because of his pale color.

I've noted some Omaha names that lend credence to this "abbreviation" (if
you will).....Ma'chu Wa'xe...translated as "ghost bear".

Might be folk etymology.....don't know.....but it seems consistent across
the board with Ponca elders and some of the Omaha names that I've seen
translated.

For what it's worth,
TML