Tides (Re: 'eight' some more)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Mon May 3 15:20:20 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2 May 2004, R. Rankin wrote:
> Maj. General Abraham Wood wrote to John Richards in 1674, "Now ye king
> must goe to give ye monetons a visit which were his friends, mony
> signifiying water and ton great in theire language.  Ye monyton towne
> situated upon a very great river att which place ye tide ebbs and
> flowes...."  (Alvord and Bidgood, 1912, 221)

Would the tide ebb and flow in the Kanawha or Ohio?  This is just a matter
of curiosity, since, even if it wouldn't, there's no obvious alternative,
and I'm certainly not questioning the existence of location of the Moneton
on this or any other basis.  I assume the interest of tides to the English
at this period relates to the possibility of finding an outlet to the
sea across the Appalachians.