reduplication

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Fri May 14 20:44:44 UTC 2004

On Fri, 14 May 2004, R. Rankin wrote:
> It's probably important to check on the (inherent?) aspect of the verb in
> question in each instance as a part of determining the semantics of
> reduplication in Omaha and other Dhegiha.

I think you're right.  I've often wished I could figure out a way to
search for reduplications the DOrsey texts.  It is possible to search for
words with adjacent repetitions of two characters or more, though not with
the tools I've been using lately!  But even in the list of body part
examples I turned up bibize 'squeeze dry', in which I eventually realized
that the first bi is the PRESS instrumental.