OP Merged Noun Class List

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Fri May 21 07:27:48 UTC 2004

Here is the merged and sorted list of forms.  I thought this might be
easier to work with.  Again this is from about the first 200 pages of the
Dorsey 1890 text collection, so there are about 700 more pages, including
the 1891 collection.  This is only a sample.

I have folded a few lines to bring headwords to the fore.

This list does clearly show =the as a pluralizer of =khe and =dhaN forms,
though as Ardis pointed out, with many body part nouns it is not necessary
to indicate plurality, while, again, contexts also exist in which it might
normally be indicated, at least for some nouns, when parts from several
bodies are indicated, or when the completeness of the set for one body is
emphasized.  With some nouns plurality is normally marked, e.g., with
'ears'.

There are =the forms that seem to be singular, too, e.g., uxpe' 'bowl' or
tti' 'lodge'.

Plurality may be involved in some cases where my gloss does not indicate
it, through carelessness on my part - mainly where Dorsey's gloss
neglected it.  In addition, some forms may be indicated as plural falsely,
based on English logic (see i'e 'word').

One should not assume that missing forms, like a'=the 'arms', do not
exist.

I have tried to disguise the spelling of body parts that might cause spam
or rant etc., filters to be invoked, though, frankly, with this much
"NetSiouan" notation I now pretty much assume that this post will be
filtered out as spam if recipients don't take steps to prevent this.

a'=khe 'arm'
a'bakku=dhaN 'nape of the neck'
a'dhiN=khe 'ridge'
baghu'=khe 'peak (mountain)'
dhe'ghegakku=the 'drum'
dhe'ze=dhaN 'tongue'
dhe'ze=the 'tongues'
dhie'=dhaN 'side' (of body)
dhie'=khe 'side, flank'
dhis^pa's^pa=i=ge '(ripped off) fragments (of Rabbit's body)'
ha'az^iNga=khe 'cord' (sic, spelling and number)
ha'z^iNga=the 'cord' (sic, spelling and number)
he'=dhaN 'horns (antlers) (of several elk)'
he'=khe 'horn'
he'be=the 'piece'
hedhu'baz^aN=khe 'swing'
hi'gaN=the 'myth'
hiN'=dhaN '(body) hair, fur'
hiNbe'=dhaN 'moccasins'
hiNxpe'=khe 'fine feather'
hu'=the 'voice'
huhu'=khe 'fish'
i'=the 'mouth'
i'e=khe 'words'
i'e=the 'speech, words'
iN'?e=khe 'stone'
iN'?e=the 'stone(s?)'
iN'be=dhaN 'tails (of turkeys)'
iNde'=dhaN 'face'
iN'z^e=dhaN 'v at g1na'
is^ta'=dhaN 'eye(s)'
is^ta'ha=khe 'eyelid'
kkaN'ha=khe 'border, edge'
ma'=khe 'snow'
ma'dhe=the 'winter'
maN=khe 'arrow'
maN'=the 'arrows'
maNa'=the 'cliff'
maNc^hu'=khe '(dead) grizzly bear'
maN'de=khe 'bow'
maNde'ppa=the 'head of bow'
maN'ghe=dhaN 'sky (cloud?)'
maN'ghe=khe 'sky'
maN'hiNsi=the 'arrow heads'
maNnaN's^ude=the 'dust from treading the ground'
maN'sa=the 'arrow shafts'
maNxpi'=khe 'cloud'
maNz^aN'=dhaN 'land'
maN'z^iha=khe 'quiver'
maN'ze=ge 'pieces of iron'
maN'zedhahe=khe 'bridle'
maN'zewethiN=khe 'sword'
ma's^aN=khe 'feather'
mas^aN=the 'feathers (a collected bunch)'
maxu'de=the 'ashes'
na(N)s^ki'=dhaN 'head'
na(N)z^i'ha=dhaN 'hair (scalp)'
naN'b udhi'xdha=dhaN 'ring'
naNbe'=the 'hand'
naN'de=dhaN 'heart'
naN'de=khe 'side of the tent'
naN'ppahi=ge 'chokecherry bushes'
ne'ghe=ge 'kettles'
ne'udhis^aN=dhaN 'lake'
ni(N)'gha=khe 'stomach'
ni'as^iNga ppia'z^i=khe 'bad man (dead)'
ni'as^iNga sighdha=i=khe 'person's trail (tracks)'
ni'gha=dhaN 'stomach'
nihaN'ga=the 'spring (of water)'
niN'=dhaN '(body of) water'
niN=khe 'water'
niN'=the 'water'
niN'de=dhaN 'rump'
niN'de=khe 'cooked stuff'
nini'ba=khe 'pipe'
niN'ttaNga=khe 'large body of water'
nitta' is^nu'ga=dhaN 'right ear'
ni'tta=the 'ear'
nu'ge=the 'summer'
nu'ghe=khe 'ice'
nu'z^iNga=khe 'boy (dead, lying)'
p[h?]a=ge, da'daN 'bitter (some)things'
p[h?]a=ge, wadha'the maNdhiN' 'bitter things he was going along eating'
p[h?]a=ge, xa'de ppe'z^i 'bitter herbs and grasses'
ppa'=the 'heads (a set of several from a decapitated monster)'
ppa'=dhaN 'head'
ppa'=dhaN 'heads (of seven-headed monster)'
ppa'=dhaN 'heads (of several turkeys)'
ppahe'=khe 'hill'
ppahe'=dhaN 'hill'
ppai'=the 'points'
ppa'ze=the 'evenings'
ppe'de=the 'fire'
ppe'z^e=khe 'grass'
ppi'=dhaN 'liver'
ppiza'=khe 'sand'
s^aN'de=dhaN 'scrotum'
s^aN'ttaNga=khe '(dead) wolf'
s^iN'gaz^iNga=khe 'infant (lying)'
si'=khe 'foot'
si'gdhe=khe 'footprint'
sigdhe'=the 'trail (footprints?)'
sihi'=khe 'foot'
sihi'=the 'feet'
siN'de=ge '(a collection of severed) tails'
siN'de=khe 'tail'
snede=a'xti=s^naN=khe 'what is usually really long' (foot)
tta'=dhaN 'jerked meat'
tta'=ge '(pieces of) meat'
ttaN'de=khe 'ground'
ttanu'kka=dhaN 'fresh meat'
ttanu'kka=khe 'fresh meat'
ttanu'kka=the 'fresh meat'
ttaN'waNgdhaN=dhaN 'tribe (village)'
tta'xti=khe '(dead) deer'
tte'=ma ha=ge 'hides of a group of buffalo'
tte'=khe 'buffalo meat'
ttea'zaNttasi=dhaN 'kidneys'
ttedhe'xe=dhaN 'tongue(s) (of group of monster heads)'
ttemaN'ge=khe 'buffalo breast'
ttenaN'de was^iN=ge 'buffalo heart fat'
ttenaN'de=ge 'scattered buffalo hearts'
tteppi'=dhaN 'liver'
ttez^e'ga=khe 'buffalo thigh (upper leg)'
tti'=dhaN 'circle of lodges'
tti'=i=dhaN 'village (not of Blackbears); circle of lodges'
tti'=i=dhaN, wasa'be 'Blackbear village'  (modifier optional)
tti'=i=ge 'lodges'
tti'=khe 'lodge (thrown down, i.e., taken down)'
tti'=khe 'lodges (collective)'
tti=khe, xa'de 'grass lodge'
tti'=the 'lodge'
tti'ha a'kkibesaN=khe 'tentskin fold'
tti'z^ebe, ttiz^e'be=the 'door'
ttiz^e'be=dh e'gaN=ge, naN'de 'walls and doors, too'
tti'z^ebe=dhaN 'door'
u'?e=khe 'field'
u?u'de=dhaN 'hole (gap to see through)'
u?u'de=the 'hole'
ubaN'=dhaN 'fat around the kidneys'
uc^hi'z^e=khe 'thicket'
u'daN=xti=dhaN 'a piece of something very good to eat'
u'haN=the 'cooking'
uhaN'ge=khe 'beginning, end (margin)'
umaN'(?)e=the 'provisions'
umiN'z^e=ge 'beds'
umiN'z^e=khe 'couch, bed'
umiN'z^e=the 'couch, bed'
u's?u=khe 'slice'
u's?u=the 'slices'
us^kaN'=dhaN 'deed' ('the fact that ...' ?)
u's^kaN=khe 'deed'
(u)s^kaN'=the 'deed'
u's^kaN=the 'deed(s?)'
usne'=ge 'splits (or holes) in a hollow tree'
uthaN'=ge 'leggings (for one person)'
uxdhu'xa=khe 'deep hollow'
uxdhu'xaha=dhaN 'woman's bag'
uxpe' z^iNga=khe 'small bowl'
uxpe'=the 'bowl'
u'z^iha=dhaN 'sack'
u'z^iha=khe 'bag'
wa?aN'=the 'song'
wa?iN'=the 'pack'
wa?u'=khe 'woman (lying, tied by foot)'
waba'snaN=dhaN 'shoulder (of rabbit)'
wabdha'the=th e'gaN aNdha'?i 'what you gave me so I might eat'
wac^hi's^ka=khe 'creek'
wadha'ge=dhaN 'hat'
wa'dhaha=the 'clothing'
wadhatha=i=the 'what they ate (a piece)'
wadha'the=khe 'food'
wa'ga ma'=xaN=bi=dhaN 'a slice cut off'
wahi'=khe 'bone'
wahu'ttaNdhiN=khe 'gun'
wai'iN=dhaN 'robe'
wai'iN=ge 'robes'
wakkaN'da(gi)=khe '(dead) water deity'
wakku'=khe 'awl'
wamiN'=dhaN 'blood (clot?)'
wa'nanase=dhaN 'buffalo pound (?)' '(where) they surrounded many times'
wappe'=khe 'weapon'
was^iN' he'be=dhaN 'piece of fat'
was^iN'=the 'fat'
wathaN=ge 'goods' (wattaN?)