*ki (Re: OP /the/ vs. /dhaN/)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Fri May 21 07:56:01 UTC 2004

On Wed, 19 May 2004, R. Rankin wrote:
> Don't know about Biloxi, but Tutelo uses ki or kiN.  It's a bit strange,
> since it's found very seldom other than that.  I can't make up my mind
> whether it's should be reconstructed as an article or as something
> broader.

I believe I was misrecollecting the Tutelo forms as Biloxi in this case.
My error!

I also wonder about -gi in Omaha-Ponca wakkaNdagi, though that's an
oddball form.  I'd assume it would have to be a loan of sorts, rather than
a retention.  I think I once noticed another *-ki form, probably in Osage
(which also has wahkoNtaki), but I can't relocate it.