*ki

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Fri May 21 14:07:44 UTC 2004

I think Blair's comment on Catawban pretty much clinches the argument,
especially since it shows the same nasal/non-nasal allomorphs as Dakotan.  There
definitely is a deictic {ki} in Dhegiha -- in fact, in that very term,
dheGIha -- and it recurs in other deictic clusters.  My preferred reconstruction
would be as a broader deictic of some kind rather than as a definite article.

Bob