Fw: Wolf's Friend

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed Nov 17 17:22:43 UTC 2004

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, R. Rankin wrote:
> > There was a late 18th-c. Chickasaw headman who was called Wolf's Friend by
> > the whites and he had two native names. One is Chickasaw --Ugulayacabe
> > (Killer of Many Nations)--, but the other isn't: Mooleshawskek. This last
> > doesn't seem to be Siouan, but on the off chance, do you see anything
> > there? I've also asked a colleague here about the possibility of an
> > Algonquian name. The sounds look OK for Algonquian but they are apparently
> > meaningless.

The problem in Siouan contexts is that there are relatively few cases
where /mu/ or /mo/ makes sense (OP and Wi, of course).  Biloxi - which is
in the vicinity - loses initial labials, right?

I assume the spelling represents something between mules^aaskek and
mulzaaskek.  English looks like a better bet than a Siouan language.