Benefactive Reflexives

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Thu Nov 18 00:05:17 UTC 2004

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, REGINA PUSTET wrote:
> What I meant (I should have made that more explicit) is that by the
> building-block logic of person marking in Lakota, one might expect that
> benefactive reflexives are coded by means of reflexive ic'i-forms plus
> the benefactive/possessive marker ki-, which would yield something like
> ic'ici- for third person singular benefactive reflexive. Today's Lakota
> session has revealed that such forms do, however, not exist. At least my
> speaker and me haven't been able to produce such an example.

Thanks.  Now I understand.  I hadn't thought of this.  I know that it is
possible to have multiple locatives, and I think there are some cases of
multiple instrumentals - though it's not common - but are there any cases
of multiple "things that begin (or almost begin) with k"?

The OP example of a "reflexive verb with a causative" that I reported last
night ("he caused her to paint herself") qualifies in the strict sense, so
I'd better specify simple predicates and not complex ones.

I'm missing the obvious.  There's the Dakota second dative kic^i-form.
In some sense the two elements there behave as a single chunk, but this is
definitely more like what I was wondering about.