bird.

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Mon Nov 22 03:31:11 UTC 2004

>>From Wally's and David's postings, it looks as though the Cherokee form isn't a
part of the SE set after all.  Just the forms with initial /t/ or /d/.  I had
thought maybe Cherokee had assibilated a /t/ in their form, but it's likely part
of a larger Iroquoian cognate set, and perhaps part of the affricate and high
front vowel sound symbolism discussed by Sapir in his journal of psychology
paper and rediscovered by Greenberg later and published in the Stanford U.
Working Papers in Linguistic Universals about 30 yrs. ago.           Bob