Same word, different meanings

Kathleen Shea kdshea at ku.edu
Tue Oct 26 05:34:37 UTC 2004

Yes, there's a similar word naNzhiNha 'hair (on the head).'  I don't think
there's any reason for Rory to apologize since vowel length, pitch accent,
and intonation in Omaha-Ponca seem to interact in ways that I don't think
any of us have quite figured out.  There are so many apparent homonyms in
the language that I keep wondering if perhaps I'm missing something.  When I
ask speakers about two words, I sometimes get a shrug and they say that they
sound "about the same"; on the other hand, I some speakers think there
should be no homonyms in a language and try to make an artificial
distinction between two words that probably sound the same.  But  I  haven't
really worked with enough speakers to generalize to such an extent!  By the
way, I've had two speakers recently insist that the Omaha-Ponca indefinite
article wi  'a, one' does not contain a nasal vowel (as opposed to Dorsey's
transcription).  I originally transcribed the word with an oral vowel, as
_wi_,  in a rabbit story but then changed it to be in synch with Dorsey's
transcription!  This points up the difficulty of distinguishing oral from
nasal vowels at the ends of words in Omaha-Ponca, especially /i/ from /iN/
or among /ii/, /iNiN/, /iNi/ (all possiblities).

Kathy