HISTORY OF THE HIDATSA

Alan H. Hartley ahartley at d.umn.edu
Sun Sep 26 22:36:33 UTC 2004

Koontz John E wrote:

> In regard to the the Lewis & Clark and Sacagawea discussion I'd like to
> plump down on the side of the traditional view espoused by Alan Hartley.

It's nice to have someone besides Jimm and me plump down (on either
side) and chime in (to hash up our metaphors), but might I suggest a
rewording like "the view of traditional Euro-American historiography"?
We probably all know John's intent with "traditional view," but people
of other traditions might rightly espouse other definitions of
"traditional."

> the woman who claimed to have been Sacagawea was named
> Puhinaivi (a/k/a "Bowie Knife")

Funny--I come from a land of Finnish immigrants, and "Puhinaivi" is
precisely the way "Bowie knife" would be written in "Finglish." Finnish
has no [b] or [f], and the only consonants that can end a word are, I
think, [n], [s], and [t], so a vowel is often added to loan-words ending
in a consonant.

Alan