To trill

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Mon Sep 27 16:58:17 UTC 2004

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Mark-Awakuni Swetland wrote:
> Yes, our UmoNhoN speakers at UNL refer to the "lulu" as hu gthedoN.

Well, "Hawk voice" was what I remembered, but I searched repeatedly under
woman. women, song, sing, hawk, even lulu, and various combinations
without getting LinguistList to cough up the form.  Yet I'm sure you
(Mark) or Rory mentioned it on the list last spring!  It's nice to know my
memory isn't totally shot, as it sometimes seems to be, but I'm a bit
disappointed in the search engine.

Of course, this delightful expression doesn't help a bit with Jonathan's
mysterious 'woman singer' form!  I suspect what is needed is somebody who
knows the Osage iloNska terminology.

I think that the interesting thing about the list of terms in question is
that it encapsulates the issue of intertribal linguistic borrowing.  The
Hethushka has probably been one of the channels of this for a long time,
and seems to remain an active one.