argument structure k'u etc.

ROOD DAVID S rood at spot.Colorado.EDU
Sat Apr 2 01:44:35 UTC 2005

Pam, I'm not quite sure that this is a very important discussion, even
though I started it (one of my pet peeves, for years, has been the claim
that 'give' takes indirect objects universally).  However, it's kind of
fun.
	The kind of verb you're asking for (only 3rd person singular
argument possible, not phonomenological) seems like it'd be hard to come
by in any language -- can you provide a possible example from English or
some other language you know?  All I can think of would be the modal-like
verbs like iyecheca 'necessary' or nachece 'maybe', which take
propositions as their "subjects". Or maybe an intransitive that cannot
have an animate argument, so "pi" would be impossible -- e.g. do plants
'grow' or 'die' with a different verb than do people?  Two minutes of
research in Ingham gives a verb "uya" for 'to grow (longer), as hair';
back checking with Buechel indicates that it's used for grain springing
up, and then the sentence example he gives is "tokiyatanhan uya hwo?"
which he glosses 'where does the wind come from?' -- so I'm very confused,
but maybe "uya" is a candidate.  Are there any speakers of Lakhota
out there who can comment on this word?  Does it ever take a
plural "subject"?  And if not, what does that tell us?  The morphology of
third singular won't reveal anything about whether or not that "subject"
is an argument.
	More important, perhaps, is some agreement about what we mean by
"argument".  I intended my "marked on the verb" definition to be
Lakhota-specific; I think you have to find criteria for grammatical
argument status one language at a time.  And as John said, (I think), my
example with three arguments for the causative works only because there
are two verb stems involved.  I have no objection to claims that the
logical structure of 'give' universally includes three entities, but I do
object to the hypothesis that the recipient is in some sense "secondary"
or "indirect" in all languages.   Given that _k'u_ can take only two
affixes at most, and that one is the giver and the other the recipient, I
still claim that the third "entity" involved is not part of the core
argument structure of this verb in this language.
	I run into similar problems when people claim that "eat" in "we
eat every afternoon at 4:00" has an "implied object" because you have to
eat something.  I think it is purely intransitive in that kind of context,
and has only one argument, logic or no logic.
	Maybe my structuralist upbringing is leaking through here (I
learned lingusitics first from Charles Hockett), but I need concrete
evidence for grammatical structures before I accept them, and Lakhota
"k'u" only shows two entities, even if other things are hanging around in
the vicinity.
	David

David S. Rood
Dept. of Linguistics