argument structure k'u etc.

Pamela Munro munro at ucla.edu
Sat Apr 2 01:59:23 UTC 2005

Thanks for playing along with this, David -- I'm very glad to learn
about these verbs.

A modal type of thing like 'necessary' or 'maybe' doesn't really fit
what I'm thinking about, precisely because you want (naturally) to put
"subject" in quotes with that. But the other types are just the kind of
thing I was thinking of. To give you another possibility, how about a
verb that takes a mass inanimate as a subject (e.g. something that might
be true of 'water' or 'sand'...)?

I want to make it ABSOLUTELY clear that I agree with you 100% that it's
odd to say that 'give' takes indirect objects universally. I don't want
you to think at all that this is what I (or, I would guess, John) was
getting at.

What seems to me to be true is that verbs like 'give' in languages like
Lakhota (and a variety of other languages) take two objects, only one of
which may show agreement on the verb -- but that both of them are
syntactically objects. My suggestion that you cannot freely add random
nouns to Lakhota sentences (you cannot randomly have additional things
"hanging around in the vicinity", in your words) was designed to show
that even though the (semantic) patient (the "second object", if you
like that term) does not agree with the verb, it still has a role in the
sentence, and (personally) it makes it sense to me to call it an
argument.  (Though certainly others might define that term differently.)
This seems like pretty strong structural evidence to me. I don't see
anything particularly "indirect" about either of these objects; anyone
who would use this term is simply trying to apply Indo-European style
terminology in a case where it doesn't fit too well. The recipient is
clearly the "first object".

I agree with you about your 'eat' example, too. I'd say that English
'eat' may be either intransitive (as in your example) or transitive.