argument structure k'u etc.

lcumberl at indiana.edu lcumberl at indiana.edu
Sat Apr 2 07:04:09 UTC 2005

Quoting ROOD DAVID S <rood at spot.Colorado.EDU>:

> Pam, I'm not quite sure that this is a very important discussion, even
> though I started it (one of my pet peeves, for years, has been the claim
> that 'give' takes indirect objects universally).  However, it's kind of
> fun.

Well, I think it's important, and quite timely for me.

It occurs to me that there may be a similar problem with z^echa (Lak. hecha).
It's a stative verb but there are can be two nominal expressions in the clause:

wohena z^e-ma-cha 'I am a cook'

Mary wohena z^echa  'Mary is a cook'

z^echa can only take one pronominal affix, so the structure of the verb in the
second sentence cannot be *z^e-0-0-cha.

(I've said so in the soon-to-be-pried-from-my-reluctant-hands grammar, so if I'm
wrong, tell me now!)

Linda