Ietan, Iatan, etc.

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Wed Apr 27 22:19:26 UTC 2005

Yes, Padouca (padunka, padunke, padoke, etc., etc.) is
used by several eastern plains tribes to refer to those
''wild'' folks 'way out West.  It refers variously to
Apaches, Comanches and/or maybe others.  Iatan may be a
similar name from some other source language.  Padouca
has no real, known meaning, but, as Jimm points out, it
gets broken down and ''analyzed'' by various tribes in
their respective languages.

I ain't holding my breath over this one either.   :-)

Bob