Padouca.

Alan H. Hartley ahartley at d.umn.edu
Thu Apr 28 20:55:42 UTC 2005

R. Rankin wrote:

> I was also wondering just when the Comanches became really separate from
> the Shoshones -- I guess that must have been much earlier than the
> period we're talking about.

Thomas Kavanaugh ("Comanche", HNAI 13) doesn't seem to say. He does say
(p. 886) that "Shoshonean-speaking peoples, including the ancestors of
the Comanche, have lived on the Northern Plains since the 1500s", and
(ibid.) "By the 1730s, the Comanche had displaced the Plains Apacheans
and gained control of the trade between New Mexico and the Plains...
Meanwhile, other Comanches had established relations with French traders
from Illinois and Louisiana."

Alan