Wanikiya Tun -> omaka

"Alfred W. Tüting" ti at fa-kuan.muc.de
Thu Jan 6 14:53:36 UTC 2005

 > Nis^ eya omaka was^te luha kta wacin

 > Bruce

He un lila pilamayayelo!

BTW, I have a question to the Siouanist experts here:
Dealing with Dell Hymes' work "In vain I tried to tell you", recently, I
ran into this statement:
"In winter the peripheral world of supernatural power and myth came
closer, spirit-power was sought and initiations into the control of
power held, and myths formally told. Myths, in fact, were not to be told
in summer for fear of rattlesnake bite. With spring, Chinookans, like
flowers, emerged from underground to a new world. The root for "world,
country, land, earth" indeed also has the meaning "year", pointing up
the interdependence of recurring time with the recurrences of the
seasonal round." (p. 21)

Apart from all this sounding very familiarily Chinese to me, here's my
query: how's this in Siouan etymology? As for Dakota, the word for
'season/year' _omaka_ obviously comprises _maka_ [makxa'] 'earth' etc.
plus the locative (or whatever) prefix _o-_.

Alfred