A unicode Siouan, IPA, Cyrillic, Greek, west European font -- FREE.

cstelfer at ucalgary.ca cstelfer at ucalgary.ca
Tue Jan 18 21:01:17 UTC 2005

Hi,

   Gentium is good, but Doulos SIL is even better, or at least that's what
people around this department seem to concur.  Doulos SIL is made by
the same people as Gentium, only it's newer and they have improved some
things.  Here is the link to download it for free:

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=DoulosSIL_download

Sorry it's so long.

Doulos SIL looks a lot more like Times New Roman, so you can easily write
your whole document in Doulos SIL and it will look more or less "normal".
I believe that Doulos SIL has all of the same characters as Gentium and
more, so finding the appropriate Siouan characters should be easy.  ONe
nice development in Doulos SIL is the combining accents, which
automatically format themselves.  This works well when you want to have an
accented nasal vowel and you use [~] to indicate nasality.  The combining
accent will automatically move above the tilde so that the two symbols do
not interfere with each other.  But you have to make sure you use the
"combining" accents to get this effect.

Doulos SIL is so useful that our phonology prof, Darin Howe, gets all of
his phonology students to download it to write their papers and
assignments.  The only real downside is that Doulos SIL makes the line
spacing slightly larger than it would be with Times New Roman, so there is
more space between lines than usual.

Hope this helps,

Corey.