bikkude

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed Jun 1 17:39:12 UTC 2005

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, R. Rankin wrote:
>  The 'friend' set in the CSD is certainly a mess all right.
>
> I was thinking of /bikkude/ there.  It can't be cognate with its final
> /-e/.

> Quapaw and Kaw 'friend' are kkoda and kkoya respectively.

No, not when you compare OP (iNda)kkudha, Qu kkoda, Ks kkoya, and, now
that I think of it, isn't there an Osage kkodha, too?  These all suggest
*hkora.  Dakotan khola, etc., suggest *hkoRa (or *hkos^ra, which seems
less likely).  Winnebago -koro could be *hkoro or *kro, but the former
seems more likely, and is only one irregular change away from Dhegiha
*hkora, which is only one irregular change away from Dakotan *hkoRa.

Anyway, I was completely wrong in remembering that Dhegiha uses *kHake.
OP khage' seems to be the only case of that.  Even if the OP iNdakkudha
form is borrowed, it isn't needed to establish a Dhegiha *hkora set.  The
non-OP Dhegiha forms are not likely to be of Dakotan origin, either.

So, coming back to Bikkude, while -kkude in OP bikkude would match Teton
-khota ~ -khol it doesn't work with the -khola version that seems more
likely to be original.

> I was using 'organic' in the sense of Sapir.

Which I think is the way I was using it, too, though I had better check.

> If the cognates in Dhegiha has -a rather than -e then the -a is
> 'organic' in Dakotan.  It's just that one can't tell from Dakotan alone
> in such cases if historically it was E or A.

OK, now I see how you meant the distinction in this case.  I agree that a
Da : Dh :: a# : a# set is likely to involve an organic (part of the root
or stem) a, while Da : Dh :: a# : e# or Da :  Dh :: e# : e# involve other
patterns, some of which involve a non-organic or formative or thematic
element.  There might be some exceptions evidenced by accentual oddities
or behavior in other subgroups, but I don't have any in mind at the moment
for a# : a# except the trivial one of formant *-ka# in various cases (but
not all *hCVk- cases).  However, I wonder about 'wind' *htate (?) for e# :
e#, if I remember the data correctly (??? Da thate', OP ttade').