WINN TERM "FRENCH"

Jimm GoodTracks goodtracks at GBRonline.com
Wed Jun 1 19:18:24 UTC 2005

There are several ethnic terms in Radin's Winnebago that challenge an
analysis.  While I will seek some help with those at some other time, right
now I am perplexed with the term for:
French  =  Djimoxgemena

I looked in Ken Miner's lexicon to no avail.  I looked in Zeps' as well, but
nothing.  Mark Swetland offered:
wa'xe ukethiN  "white man not strange".   I dont see a connection to the
Winnebago.
[QUES:  Was Mark going to do a undated Lexicon??}

Riggs offers:
Was^icuNikceka   ("common white man" jgt??)

"Everyday Crow" has:
Isb'tchiihachkite    which I cannot analyze and looks nothing like the
Winnebago term.

I found nothing in Kanza, and Quapaw only had:  is^ta'xe  (whiteman).
NONE of the above resemble the Winn/ Hochank version, which remains a
mystery.