Comparative Grammar workshop

Catherine Rudin CaRudin1 at wsc.edu
Sat Jun 25 18:34:42 UTC 2005

Assigning each participant a chapter is a GREAT idea.  We really could come out of the meeting with a draft of a book.  This sounds better and better.

When to meet:  I'd vote for piggybacking on Siouan conference in Billings.  Labor day/early fall is too soon for all of us to do our homework and be well organized.  (Maybe aim to have a list of topics finalized and "chapter" assignments divvied up by Labor Day?)  Late fall gets extremely messy, with Thanksgiving, Christmas, exams and papers and all the end-of-semester stuff, several major conferences, and generally way too much travel (and iffy weather).  Mid-spring, trying to hit at least some people's spring break, could be ok.  (Though I personally have several major comittments in April and May; spring is already looking busy)  Billings would give us a little more time, make the trip to Montana even more worthwhile than it already is, and avoid making the school year even more hectic.  The only downside would be if people felt like they couldn't do a paper for the regular meeting and prepare for the workshop at the same time.  But I would think research on one's "chapter" should spark off ideas for little side papers.   Another idea:  perhaps if we do hold off till summer for the workshop we could have a sort of pre-workshop brainstorming/progress report session at SSILA in January, either as a formal roundtable or just informally getting together for an hour... not all of us will be there, but I assume most will, and it could give those of us who tend to procrastinate an incentive to at least collect some material in the fall so we'd have something to say.

>>> rankin at ku.edu 6/24/2005 2:35 PM >>>
I think my inclination is to (a) give this some time
for the organizational and other aspects to be worked
out.  I agree with David that Labor Day is much too
soon.  My time is pretty flexible now that I don't have
to worry about teaching, so I won't try to decide when
to meet.  There are some ideas that are worth
considering.  Late in the Autumn there is, say, the
first few days of Xmas vacation (not so late as to
interfere with holiday travel plans, etc.).  There is
also Spring Break of 2006, provided there is sufficient
overlap among the several universities individual
schedules.  And there is next year's Siouan Conference
period in Billings, MT.  We could go early and/or leave
late and meet there.  My only personal preference is
that I'd like plenty of time (at least a number of
months) to prepare.  (And I do have large obligations
to the Kaw language program in the meantime.)

What I will do in advance is to collect all of my
handouts from a Comparative Siouan Seminar I gave some
years back at KU and again at the Aussie Ling.
Institute.  I'll try to annotate them into sensible
shape and send all confirmed participants in the
workshop copies well in advance.  This can give us a
bit of a head start on basic morphology (mostly
verbal).  It won't come close to filling in the
details, I'm afraid, but it's something we might as
well put to use.  It's mostly cognate sets of
inflectional morphemes and a discussion of some of
their origins (like the fact that the -kte 'irrealis'
[sometimes called 'future'] comes from 'to want'), etc.
Simple-minded stuff like that.  Those handouts are in a
mixture of Word, Wordperfect and WordStar files in
several different ASCII and ANSI fonts and formats, so
this will take me a little time to accomplish.

I do not have a lot of material on comparative syntax,
and I think that is the big hole in our knowledge.  So
I hope we can accomplish a lot in this area.  My bad
attitude has generally been that "it's all just the old
dependent-head typology" anyway, so what the hell. . .
.  But of course there's a lot more to it than that.

Our tendency has been to assign participants in these
workshops a language each.  It's easy to see why this
makes sense, since we each have specialized knowledge
of a lang.  BUT this leaves the group with no
coordination of the resultant detailed individual
studies.  And that can take some poor slob years to
cobble together (e.g., the CSD or Heather Hardy's
Southeastern volume).  In the interest of producing
something more useful quickly, I'd suggest assigning
each participant an area of Siouan grammar (relative
clauses, topicalization, possession, noun
incorporation, stativity, all the usual suspects...).
All of us could help each such participant by emailing
examples, summary statements, etc. about the languages
we know best.  All this would be done well in advance
of the workshop.  That way, we each arrive at the
workshop with something that is approaching a "chapter"
already, and we can spend our time discussing more
interesting details.