Iskousogos (Re: Siouan etymology?) (fwd)

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Thu Mar 10 21:28:46 UTC 2005

I think -k, -ok, -ak and sundry variants spelled
with -g are the Algonquian animate proximate plural --
not Iroquoian.  The inanimate plural is -a and is
homophonous with the obviative singular.

I'm afraid I have no more to contribute on this name.
If the Escansaques and Iskou/nsogos were
contemporaneously in both the Ohio Valley and central
KS and environs, then equating the two is probably
unrealistic, but JEK already pointed that out.

Bob