Loans Back and Forth: 'bow'

Wallace Chafe chafe at linguistics.ucsb.edu
Fri Nov 11 18:37:47 UTC 2005

In Proto-Northern-Iroquoian "bow" can be reconstructed as *a?e:na? (where ?
is glottal stop and the e is nasalized and accented). The time depth is
uncertain. Glottochronology led Lounsbury to a time depth on the order of
1,900 to 2,400 years, which seems to me greatly exaggerated. These
languages are not all that different. I would suggest something under 1,000
years. Lounsbury's calculation for Proto-Iroquoian yielded 3,500 to 3,800
years, but that's probably also exaggerated. The fault is with
glottochronology, not Lounsbury.

Wally