Winnebago Aspiration

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Mon Sep 12 07:12:14 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, Jimm GoodTracks wrote:
> It may be coincidence or an earlier pronunciation, but Dorsey consistantly
> has no "h" for the following:
> hina'ge (woman) > DOR   ina'ge
> hina's^age (old woman) > ina'sh^age  DOR
> ha'xoje (ashes)  >  DOR   a'xoje
>
> I believe I've noted other instances, ...

The first two IO examples here are presumably cognate with one of Long's
problem Winnebago forms, hinuNk 'woman'.  The Wi and IO forms here are
suggested to be reflexes of the PMV form *wiN(h)-, but even if initial *w
becomes h and and an intrusive r between iN and what follows provides the
n, it's not clear where we get the final -uNk(e) < *-uNk(a) from.  The CSD
suggests influence from *i-yuNke 'his/her daughter'.