kuku'i ghost

Mark-Awakuni Swetland mawakuni-swetland2 at unl.edu
Fri Sep 2 20:14:09 UTC 2005

aloha all,
A term came up in my Omaha III class today that I thought I'd share with y'all.

We were talking about a stuffed skeleton toy "ni'kashiNga wahi'" (bone person) and contrasting it with "wanoN'xe" (ghost or spirit). An Omaha student who recently transfered into UNL from the Omaha reservation offered the term "kuku'i" as ghost. He reported the term used by his Omaha grandmother residing in Sioux City, Iowa.

One of our speakers suggested it was a Mexican Spanish term, as her Mexican Mother-in-Law uses the term commonly in south Texas... but had not heard it used in the Omaha community.

Any thoughts?

wibthahoN,
wagoNze Uthixide

Mark Awakuni-Swetland, Ph.D.