paduka identity

David Costa pankihtamwa at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 29 15:08:21 UTC 2005

I can assure everybody here that 'Patoka' absolutely did not mean 'slave' in
Miami-Illinois.

Morever, the 'Patoka' were not a Dhegiha group -- as Mark says here, the
term generally indicated the Comanche, a Uto-Aztecan (specifically Numic)
group closely related to the Shoshone. Look in the Handbook of North
American Indians, volume 13, pps. 903 & 939. According to that source, it
was originally used for the Plains Apache, and was transferred to the
Comanches later on, when the Comanches displaced the Plains Apache on the
high plains.

The Miami name for the Comanche is paatoohka, the Shawnee name for them is
paatohka, and the Fox name for them is paatoohka(aha). This term has no
etymology in Algonquian.  Algonquian probably got this name from Siouan. It
is in fact found in several Siouan languages -- John Koontz has looked at
this term in the past, and can give you a handful of Dhegiha cognates and
etymologies for the term, for those of you who don't have access to the
discussion of the term in HNAI 13.

David