Siouan-Catawban reduplication - a bunch of questions...

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Tue Apr 18 22:10:33 UTC 2006

> I'm currently working on an essay on reduplication in Siouan-Catawban, a topic that I gather has been discussed here at least twice previously, from a historical-typological perspective.  I was wondering if anyone could tell me:
> * Does anyone know of any examples of Tutelo reduplication other than the three given by Horatio Hale?

If you have Giulia Oliverio's doctoral dissertation from the Univ. of Kansas (1996), you have about all there is.  She consulted what unpublished field notes of Hale's and Dorsey's there were.

> * Are there any handy summaries of reduplication in Dhegiha, other than Boas' for Ponca?

Carolyn Quintero's Osage Grammar, Univ. of Nebraska Press, just new last year, is the best treatment of any language in this subgroup.  Other work is unpublished and contributors may be able to help you further.

> Incidentally, my conclusion so far (perhaps unsurprisingly) is that reduplication in a pluractional sense is unquestionably reconstructible for Proto-Siouan-Catawban, and in an adjectival inanimate plural sense is probably reconstructible for Proto-Siouan, despite having a much more limited distribution (only Crow, Ohio Valley, and Dakotan so far.)

Well, that's 3 of the 4 major subgroups.  With those attested, it's hard to imagine it isn't the same in Mandan.

Here are some reduplicated forms from the Swanton Ofo dictionary that I located for Randy earlier.  I haven't tried to analyze them semantically.  Some are clearly iterative actions, but others seem to be sort of continuing states with no notion of renewed action of the verb.  And 'mulberry' is a noun of course, but it may somehow be deverbal.  The font here is Times New Roman set to display Unicode (without which some characters may not display correctly).

á*-tu-tu-e    'be cooking'

aba´-p?-p?-to´pi ~  iba´p?to´pi   'I shoot'.  causative is fused and no longer inflected.

cichi?*ti Sw tci?tchi´nti - to crawl; ref. p. 329.

e´-te-te  'sick,  keep on suffering'.  Iterative or continuative aspect.

?pak-li´*-li-hi    'roll, roll it!'

f?´tf?te Sw fá?tf?te - to whistle; infl. baf?tf?te 'I whistle'; tcafá?tf?te 'you whistle'.; ref. p. 323.

f?f?n?ki Sw f?f?n?ki - mulberry (Creole: murier); ref. p. 323.

ka-la-la   'make a ringing sound by striking'

lolohi, lólohe Sw lolohi - to run (like water); e.g. a´nic lo´lohe, ani´c lalo´hi; trans. the water runs; e.g. a´nic lo´lohe afhi´hi; trans. the current; ref. p. 326, under lo

pa*n?ná*hi Sw pan?na´hi - to sift; infl. bapan?na´hi 'I sift'.; ref. p. 328.

pophúti Sw pophû´ti - to swell or puff out; infl. bapophû´ti 'I swell or puff out'; tcapophû´ti 'you swell or puff out'.; ref. p. 328. May not be reduplication.

sni-sni-we  'itch', iterative.  This verb may also be causative (-we), but if it is, the

tasí*shihi Sw tasi´shihi - to whine; infl. batasi´shihi 'I whine'; tcatasi´shihi 'you whine';

            e.g. atchû´ñki tasi´shihi; trans. the dog whines; ref. p. 330.

t?tá*hi Sw t?ta´hi - to shake or tremble; infl. bat?ta´hi 'I shake or tremble'; tcat?ta´hi 'you shake or tremble'.; ref. p. 329, under tahi.

tó*fkufkupi Sw to´fku^fku^pi - to wink, to blink; infl. bato´fku^fku^pi 'I wink or blink'; tcato´fku^fku^pi 'you wink or blink'.; ref. p. 331.  The illegible Swanton forms here had both a macron and a circumflex over the /u/ in the card file.

tú*f?fha, duf?fha, tuf?fhahi Sw tu´f?fha, duf?fha, tuf?fhahi - to tear; infl. batu´f?fha 'I tear'; tcatu´f?fha 'you tear'.; ref. p. 331.

up-lé-le-hi  'swing', presumably iterative.

Bob Rankin