Siouan-Catawban reduplication - a bunch of questions...

david costa pankihtamwa at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 28 01:37:01 UTC 2006

I would predict that reduplication is present in every Algonquian language other than Blackfoot. It's quite common in all the Algonquian languages I'm familiar with, tho some languages use it more than others. Proto-Algonquian appears to have had several different patterns of reduplications that carried with them important semantic differences. However, the whole topic hasn't been systematically studied for very long, or for many of the languages. Many grammars ignore it or barely cover it.

Dave