Siouan-Catawban reduplication - a bunch of questions...

Heike Bödeker heike.boedeker at netcologne.de
Fri Apr 28 10:35:49 UTC 2006

Dear Corey,

> One language that does not seem to have any type of reduplication
> is Blackfoot.  This is probably due to the fact that Blackfoot has
> a small phoneme inventory and fairly long morphemes.  Reduplication
> would just create confusion.

I'm not so sure about some 3, 4, 5 phonemes less than in some
"vanillish" Algonquian lg. really making such a big difference, and,
of course, one always might consider the option of only partial
reduplication. But maybe that's the general linguistic dilemma of
attempting at a posteriori explanations.

I'm also not really sure about BF morphemes as a rule being so
terribly long. We also in other Algonquian lgs. at times have
seemingly long morphemes, which probably consist several we simply
can't analyze. Alas, concering the state of BF lexicography, I must
say that reading text with the dictionaries by Uhlenbeck/Van Gulik
and Frantz/Russell isn't exactly fun.

> siksi   +  ka
> 'black' +  'foot'

Actually "black, dark" is sik- only, with connective -i- and an
inserted euphonic -s-.

All the best,

Heike