Question about Some Siouan cooking habits.

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Mon Feb 13 22:44:55 UTC 2006

Not to be awkward, but before I go out and start chewing on the
neighboring elms, has it been established by testing that accacia (or
slippery elm) has any actual medicinal value and that it specifically
affects cholesterol levels?  I'm thinking about the Echinacea dispute and
some others of a similar nature.  I think we can take it as read that
slippery elm can be a laxative.  I think I've heard it mentioned as a folk
rememdy in non-Native American contexts, too.