Question about Some Siouan cooking habits.

Jonathan Holmes okibjonathan at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 14 02:34:42 UTC 2006

  Taken from: http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/substances_view/1,1525,10056,00.html     "Well before the first European settlers arrived in North America, Native American tribes had discovered that by scraping away the rough outer bark of the majestic slippery elm tree (Ulmus rubra), they could uncover a remarkable healing substance in the inner bark. They beat the bark into a powder and added water to create a "slippery" concoction ideal for soothing toothaches, healing scrapes, and dispelling constipation.   Later, surgeons in the American Revolution turned to this wilderness remedy to treat gunshot wounds. During the same period, a wholesome and nutritious broth made from the bark was fed to infants and older people."     "Long recognized by health authorities in the United States as an effective medicine, slippery elm bark presently has the approval of the Food and Drug Administration as a nonprescription demulcent (soothing agent) that can be taken internally. Vario
 us
 sources refer to this classic North American herb as American elm, Indian elm, moose elm, red elm, and sweet elm. Don't get confused by the names: Just make sure any product that you purchase actually contains the pale inner bark of Ulmus rubra Muhl (once also known as Ulmus fulva Michx)."

     Health Benefits     "The popularity of slippery elm bark has endured, no doubt, because it works so well for coating and soothing irritated or inflamed mucous membranes. This is the work of an ingredient in the inner bark called mucilage, a gummy, gel-like substance that when ingested forms a protective layer along the throat, digestive tract, and other areas. Astringent compounds in the herb called tannins help tighten and constrict the tissue.   For the same reasons, salves and ointments containing slippery elm have long been popular for coating well-cleaned minor wounds and burns to protect them from further injury...."

Koontz John E <John.Koontz at colorado.edu> wrote:

  Not to be awkward, but before I go out and start chewing on the
neighboring elms, has it been established by testing that accacia (or
slippery elm) has any actual medicinal value and that it specifically
affects cholesterol levels? I'm thinking about the Echinacea dispute and
some others of a similar nature. I think we can take it as read that
slippery elm can be a laxative. I think I've heard it mentioned as a folk
rememdy in non-Native American contexts, too.

Be a friend...
Help support the Lakota Communities on Pine Ridge,
go to:   http://FriendsofPineRidgeReservation.org

http://mail.yahoo.com