OP dancing

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Jul 6 23:55:36 UTC 2006

John wrote:
> To address a point raised by Bob Rankin, I don't think causative gaghe is

particularly common, except in the sense above, in Omaha-Ponca.  The
=dhe/=khidhe/=kkidhe/=gidhe causative seems to be the productive one.
Osage (and I gather Kaw) do regularly use gaghe in a more causative
fashion, judging from Carolyn's data.

Bryan wrote:
> That does seem to fit with my impressions as well, but I'd be interested
to hear if gaghe is gaining currency among modern speakers at the expence
of -the.

Bob wrote:
> Certainly was in Kansa.  If /gaaghe/ means 'make like (a)' in OP, it
generally translates 'make' in just about any AUX usage except "to have as
a" kinship term.

I think my limited (mostly to two speakers) experience tends to favor Bob's
view on this for modern Omaha.  I know I've been disappointed and shot down
repeatedly over the past six years, trying to garner their support in front
of the class for my explanations and exercises for the causative -re
construction, only to have them dispute the word or suggest an alternative
construction in gaaghe.  For the Dorsey OP material though, the -re
construction certainly predominates, as John and Bryan indicate.

Rory