Color Terms (Re: Cherokee term for 'china clay')

Marino mary.marino at usask.ca
Mon Jul 17 19:53:14 UTC 2006

I haven't been following this discussion very closely, so maybe somebody
has already pointed this out, but there is a closely similar process in
Cree (and maybe other Algonquian languages?) - t palatalized to c occurs in
diminutive word-formation; e.g. atim 'dog', acimosis 'puppy'.  This is also
a feature of "compassionate" speech, when one is speaking to a sick child,
or such.

Mary