Ofologists take note!

Marino mary.marino at usask.ca
Fri Jun 9 04:24:04 UTC 2006

Thanks, Pam.  I should have been more explicit about Haas's
pronunciation:  the first <ch> was an affricate, the second <ch> was a
fricative, the first syllable had secondary stress and the final syllable
primary stress.  The two <a>s were phonetically [a] - approximately.  The
first <i> was high front lax, and the second was high front tense (with the
norms of those vowels in English).

The "bolshwah" (= Bolshoi) example is extremely funny - I will save it for
our Russian phonetician, Veronika Makarova.   But is there not some way to
assist our students (at least) to make a seminar presentation on the
American languages without feeling self-conscious and mortified whenever
they have to pronounce a language name that they haven't heard before?  And
while I am on the soapbox, why can't we have IPA fonts on e-mail?

Mary