1877 Lord's Prayer - Osage

Tom Leonard tmleonard at cox.net
Fri Jun 30 22:44:19 UTC 2006

I ran across the following account of The Lord's Prayer in Osage from 1877. Thought some of you might find it interesting.

TML

Arkansas City Traveler, January 10, 1877.

The Lord's Prayer.
We have been asked many times for a translation of the Lord's prayer into the Osage language, and for a long time we tried in vain to obtain it. There are but few people now living, who are conversant with both the Osage and English languages, and a translation of this kind, properly made, is regarded as one of the most difficult tasks undertaken by the translator. However, we induced Wm. Conner, one of the best translators in the tribe, to try his hand, and after much study, with the following result, which is probably the best interpretation of it that has ever been made, and as good as is likely to be made at any future period.

In tah tsa un-co-tah pe mo-heh mo she-tah ing sheh.

Shah sha e-tah-tsa o ho-pa-sa-low:

O wah tun kah lee-tah-tse tsa-low;

Mo heh mo she-tah hah-co-tse-tsa-tah a-co-tse tsa-low:

Hum-pah-la-cah wah-chu-tsa on-co-tah-pe hum-pah ca-sah-ne wah-q-pe-o:

Osh-cah pe-she on-le-she-lah-pe-keh wah-lo-stah-pe com-bli-o,

Osh-cah pe-she wak-she-lah-pe-ka ong-co-lah-pe-o:

Osh-cah pe-she o-wah-gle-ho-wah-pe-lin-cah,

Osh-cah pe-she geh-tse-tah heh-wah-gle ste-stah-pe-o.