HEYOKA

mckay020 mckay020 at umn.edu
Wed Mar 15 21:28:01 UTC 2006

On 15 Mar 2006, goodtracks at peoplepc.com wrote:
> Does anyone know the derivation of Heyoka (traditional Thunder =
> Contraries), and is there any documentation that suggest that they were =
> an institution among other Siouan groups?  If not, were they a loan from =
> the Cheyenne and related tribes?

Are you asking about the word itself or what a Heyoka is?  This really is one
of those subjects that I would highly recommend visiting with an elder or
Lakota person who has knowledge of these people and what it is they do.  I
have been told some very intersting stories about Heyokas that are not
written down.  I think you too will get some information that you would never
find documented, especially if you give tobacco or something along those
lines.  Just my two cents.

-Cantemaza de miye do.