2006 SCLC: Announcement and Call for Papers

Heike Bödeker heike.boedeker at netcologne.de
Thu May 4 11:08:20 UTC 2006

Dear Willem,

> Sometimes [k] sounds very postvelar, like IPA [q], in the
> environment of [a].  Compare Cree peyak [peyaq] 'one' (at least as
> pronounced by Buffy Sainte Marie)

Where is she from? Frankly I can't remember that, at least for the
Plains and Montagnais varieties I came to hear.

But also in the Turkish varieties I mostly hear around here or on TV
the k/q allophony is not as pronounced as e.g. in Xalxa Mongolian.
But then, also Turkish vowels even on TV aren't what they should be
according to textbooks. An acquaintance from Istanbul used to
complain a lot about that dreadful way of speaking...

> I don't know what other languages do with their [k]s in the
> Northern Plains.

Me neither. At least according to how I remember Blackfoot, Tsuut'ina
and Nakoda.

All the best,

Heike