"WOUND"

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Fri May 5 02:33:09 UTC 2006

On Thu, 4 May 2006 Rgraczyk at aol.com wrote:
> uu' 'shoot, hit target' (uua' is the citation form)
> 1 b-uu', 2 d-uu', 3 uu', 1pl b-uu'-o 2pl d-uu'-o 3 uu'-o (regular inflection)

For what it's worth, although these are amenable to interpretation as
regular inflection (with loss of the pronominal vowel through contraction)
they might just as well be the regular Crow reflexes of the glottal stop
stem inflectional pattern.  In fact, even if they went to the trouble of
changing *buu (or *boo) to *bauu (or *baoo) and back again, I doubt we'd
be allowed to write it up that way in a historical analysis.

> Lowie: ma u'-om = baa-uu'-o-m baa 'indefinite object'; m 'different
> subject'

I was pretty close!  Of course, I was using Randy's grammar as reference!

> oo'xpi 'wound, shoot at and hit' (citation form oo'xpe) 1 b-oo'xpi 2
> d-oox'pi 3 oo'xpi etc.  This is the regular inflection for vowel-initial
> verbs not accented on the first mora. ...  I have wondered if these
> aren't reflexes of the Siouan 'by shooting' instrumental prefix, with
> the initial consonant lost (Da wo, Wi bo Po mu).

That seems much more likely.  I now remember you telling me this about
some initial oo and me thinking it seemed likely that time, too!