Moon phases

Jonathan Holmes okibjonathan at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 8 01:49:01 UTC 2006

Can anyone translate for me the Lakota names for the moon's phases?

Euro-Americans see the moon - and identify the phases as:
New Moon
Waxing Crescent
Half Moon
Waxing Gibbous
Full moon
Waning Gibbous (the other half)
Half moon (the other half)
Waning crescent (The other half)

As I understand it,
  "waxing" means growing or approaching full moon,
  "waning" means shrinking or receding from full moon,
  and "gibbous" means full bodied or bulging half moon.

At some point, I was listening to some Lakota elders discuss this.....but all I caught was Islayata hanhepi wi (or "right sided moon").

Presuming that Lakota culture may not have a use for all the "phases" that I have described above.....what would be the traditional way to describe the moon phases in Lakota language?

Be a friend...
Help support the Lakota Communities on Pine Ridge,
go to:   http://FriendsofPineRidgeReservation.org