Funny W

Blair Rudes BARudes at aol.com
Tue Nov 14 03:28:12 UTC 2006

I share with Bob a mistrust of abstract solutions to problems in  historical
phonology; I would have been one of those skeptical folks who did not  believe
Saussure’s solution to Indo-European vocalic alternations until the
discovery of the supporting Hittite data.
Having said that, I do not know if it will help further the discussion or
not, but I would be happy to provide the (presumed) cognates in the Esaw and
Saraw dialects of Catawba, as well as Woccon, for the roots that show *R and *W
in Siouan if someone (Bob ?, John ?) would send me a complete list of such
roots. Based on the few such roots I am familiar with, I suspect that *R and *W
 are internal Siouan developments that post-date the split of Siouan and
Catawban, and I do not think the conditioning factors will be apparent from the
Catawba data. But I would love to be proven wrong. In any event, the Catawba
data would at least push the chronology back somewhat.
Blair