Funny W

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Nov 14 14:48:42 UTC 2006

> Thai has all three, l, r, n, in different contexts.  One of our grad
students who kept a pretty hefty accent in her English used to regale us
with her rendition of "phonological rules", which was "phonorogican lunes"
[fonorajikan lu:nz].  (n>n,  l>r,  r>n, but not in that order).

I wonder if the Thai phoneme is actually polymorphic, or if we just have
trouble classifying it with our alphabet?  How would we classify an
alveolarly restrictive consonant that is lateral like [l], tapped like [r],
and nasal like [n]?

Rory