Ponca-Pawnee Name Inquiry

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Aug 23 13:55:00 UTC 2007

I'm tempted toward Ponca too.  I agree with Justin that "re sha" might
involve dhe'ze, 'tongue'.  But I would guess that "Box ka" would be Wa'x^e
akHa', with the initial w being heard as b, as in the wuhu' vs. bug^u'
alternation.  The final part would probably be another akHa':

  Box ka        re sha  hash ta              ka
  Wa'x^e akHa'  dhe'ze  (i)(a)hasht()(a)     akHa'
  The whiteman  tongue  ('one', 'honest' ?)  the

This would leave us with the -hasht- part still unresolved, and lacking
anything about curly hair.

Justin, what's the word for 'whiteman' in Kaw?

Rory

             "Justin McBride"
             <jmcbride at kawnati
             on.com>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  <siouan at lists.colorado.edu>
             owner-siouan at list                                          cc
             s.colorado.edu
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Ponca-Pawnee Name Inquiry
             08/23/2007 08:24
             AM

             Please respond to
             siouan at lists.colo
                 rado.edu

Mark,

I can vaguely imagine the "Box ka re sha" part being ppah(i) ska dheze,
'white hair, tongue...,' and can even imagine "hash ta ka" containing the
word ha, 'skin,' possibly in reference to skin color.  I just can't place
the remaining shtege/shteke/xtege/xteke part, and don't see anything like
unto a Kaw word for 'curly.'  But that CteCe bit does look kinda Siouan,
no?

-Justin