FEELINGS (Abstract Notions)

"Alfred W. Tüting" ti at fa-kuan.muc.de
Mon Dec 10 11:51:05 UTC 2007

 > Fascinating examples from Clive.  The use of a- to mean 'more than'
is an interesting one in Lakota.  It seems to be not totally
productive and is a bit illusive, but one sees examples of it.  I
have  a feeling that it is more frequent in Dakota, but can't think on
what basis I have this feeling.  Does anyone else have this impression?
Bruce <

It's my impression that with regard to productiveness, it's maybe
comparable to the use of ki- (in the sense of "become", "turn to")
e.g. kiaguyapi (to turn into bread). Does anyone happen to know of
other renderings like "turn into stone" (petrify) or such??

BTW, this a- in the sense of "more than" seems to express a "general
idea" found also in other languages. E.g. think of Hungarian adessive
-nál/-nél (at) also used as comparative (e.g. ennél jobb - better
than this).

Alfred

""Alfred W. Tüting"" <ti at fa-kuan.muc.de> wrote:
 > "LochiNpi kiN he iyes^ akhiphapi kta thawat'elyapi na iyoks^ica uNpi
 > kiN he e athawat'elyapi s^ni kiN hecha."

 > [=As for themselves, they preferred facing hunger,
  to living in
 > sadness (i.e. loneliness) - such were their (feelings) or 'such was
 > their situation'.]
 > (lit. : they felt willing to face the prospect of  hunger, and they
 > did not feel a greater willingness to be living in desolation -
 > that's the way it was).

(Loċinpi kin he iyeṡ aḱip'a pi kta ṫawat'elya pi na
  iyokiṡica un pi kin he e
aṫawat'elya pi ṡni kin héċa.)

(...)

BTW, I like your reading of a-ṫawat'elyA <- a-waṡte (better than),
it's very
convincing.

Alfred