FEELINGS (Abstract Notions)

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Mon Dec 10 20:33:49 UTC 2007

The prefix related to IOM gi- 'by striking' is Dakotan ka-.

I'm going to stick my neck out and plunk for a meaning derived from the reflexive, not the instrumental (which has the wrong vowel).  It would help if everyone contributing to this discussion marked aspiration unequivocally.  Using the practical spelling system increases the liklihood of non-cognate comparisons and mistakes.  Is the the Dakotan ki- that we're talking about ki- or khi-?

I guess I'd tend to think of "to become a snake" as something approximately like 'to be-snake onself' = reflexive.  I guess I'd better check and see what I have for these in Dhegiha.

Bob