another Siouan question

Jan Ullrich jfu at centrum.cz
Mon Dec 17 16:25:29 UTC 2007

Hi Regina,

that is a nice and representative list and is also well in line with my
findings. The only difference is that the speakers I consult still use
palatalization after ichi, so I would get ichi-cas^ka rather than
ichi-kas^ka etc. but I think the two of us have discussed that before.

 >  ichi-khokapi   'they are linked to each other'

I would spell this ichi-khoyakapi.
Khoyaka and its derivatives have a very hight number of fast speech
variants and idiolectal forms which might be difficult to decipher at
times.

 >  iyeciNkyaNke ki ichi-yaphapi  'the cars bumped into each other, in
an accident'
>  a-kichi-phapi  'they hit each other'

I would argue that these don't represent a minimal pair. ichi-yaphapi
comes from ichi + iyapha whicle akichiphapi originates in aphA and
kichi-.

I also agree that ichi is much less productive today and in fact some
speakers tend to replace it with i- in some cases, so for 'to compare
things' some say ichiwanyanka while others say iwanyanka.

Jan