obviation in Siouan languages

Marino marino at skyway.usask.ca
Fri Jun 1 02:53:00 UTC 2007

The papers are:

Muehlbauer, Jeffrey  "Opportunistic verbal correlates to obviation in
Plains Cree: the 'obviative' suffix -yi-"
Piriyawiboon, Nattaya  "Reconsidering the obviative"

Muehlbauer is at UBritish Columbia (jefmuehl at interchange.ubc.ca) , and
Piriyawiboon (n.piriyawiboon at utoronto.ca) is at U Toronto.  Both papers
were presented at the Canadian Linguistic Association Meeting, 2007, in
Saskatoon.   Muehlbauer's paper is, as the title suggests, focused on
Plains Cree.  He uses corpus data from Bloomfield's "Sacred Stories" and
Ahenakew/Wolfart published texts as well as elicitation data from 6
speakers, including their metalinguistic judgements.  Piriyawiboon's paper
is focused on Nishnaabemwin of S Ontario.

Mary