obviation in Siouan languages

willemdereuse at unt.edu willemdereuse at unt.edu
Fri Jun 1 15:35:46 UTC 2007

Hi all:

I have always thought that the chankhe/yunkhan alternation of
conjunctions in Lakota texts, first discussed by Chafe (I think) and
then by Dahlstrom had something to do with obviation. It is definitely
not switch-reference. Does Richard Lungstrum's diss. say anything about
this?  I am sorry to say I have not yet gotten hold of a copy of
Richard's diss.