obviation

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Mon Jun 4 14:30:23 UTC 2007

Taking off from Dave's comment, since the granting agencies are forcing us to play these little games, I'd suggest (tongue- partly- in-cheek) that Mark call the language he wishes to document "ie angota" 'our language' (at least that's how it would be in Kansa).  Then in parens use the ISO 3 letter codes for the bureaucrats.  If that isn't viable, then just vary "Omaha and Ponca" with "Ponca and Omaha" throughout the document.  I can't imagine how everyone could possibly be made happy no matter what you do though.  People can be wonderfullly creative when it comes to obstructing the advance of knowledge.         Bob

> I'm no expert, but my impression was that the most commonly preferred name
for the language of the Odawa by the people themselves was Nishnaabemwin. Of
course, Nishnaabemwin is the same word as Ojibwe Anishinaabemowin, but run
through Odawa's syncope rules.